September 02, 2012

Speedway Race...

Back in July, MG called me to the shop on a Friday afternoon to say that one of his friends had invited us to a race at the local Speedway. There is races every Friday evening during the summer, and some more important races within a circuit at state level.
MG was soooooo excited to go!!!
This race was one of the importants and there was a lot of people coming from out of town, lots of people coming with their caravans and trucks and I was amazed to realized that this was a whole world that I had not known at all until that day.

The weather was very good, a little cloudy but cooler after the warm WARM days we had been getting...
The track was made of red clay... loose red clay I must say... and when the "warming" races started, the small cars would go so fast and sliding in the curves that they would throw a lot of clay at the public...
and the noise!!!! Oh my!!! it was soooo loud!!!! even screaming we couldn't hear each other. But I got excited to of being there and see something new and experience the excitement of the crowd.
I was very appreciative when MG's friend went to get us a pair of earplugs for the noise. I was a lot better after that!!
Here MG with his friend and the friend's brother.
So after a long time of warming and trying, starting, stoping... the race started...
You see, the cars can accelerate and go faster and faster, but they can't really start up and accelerate to start. So there is some vans designed "push trucks" to literaly push the cars until they can run on itselfs.
They would bump each other or slide out of the curve so they'd stop the race, or at least go slower and not count that lap, until a push truck had pushed the car inside the track again... not very easy to explain.

We even saw a couple of flipped cars!!!

We were there for a long time, like 5 hours or so...
But it was a very good experience. Not that I'd like to do it every weekend, but I'm glad we went.

See you soon!
S.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that seeing a race is an experience that you wouldn't want to do every weekend!! I've been to one or 2 in my youth. LOUD! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment!