September 16, 2010

Independence Day!!!

Hello People!!!! How are you?? I really, really hope you all are happy, healthy and having a great time with your loved ones...

I know I haven't posted in a long time... I have to confess that I've had a difficult time this past weeks with all the "visa issues"... but apparently, luckily, it seems that there is a light on the road that will help us sort this out... I feel so releived, I feel like the clouds had opened in the middle of a storm and there is a tiny bit of sky showing shiny up there!!!! 

I have a lot of things that I want to share with you all, but I can't write all of them in one single post, that would be very long, so for now I'll only focus on the past two days, well, yesterday and today...

This is a very important and exciting week as it is the 200th aniversary of the Independence of Mexico.
The official "time" is the night of the 15th, so that night is when the President of Mexico recreates the start of the Independence at the National Palace, downtown, with a lot of people on the main plaza - The Zocalo - and everywhere around and in every state, there is people out, enjoying, celebrating... it's a big party.
So yesterday was this night and, as it was the 200th aniversary, it was a very special time, and the celebration started with a parade of floats... that had 8 themes of different times of Mexico history.
One of this themes, Revolution, included a great huge sculpture of a revolutionary man...
That was pulled-pushed through the parade in parts and was ensambled at the end of it at the main plaza...

We have an Angel sculpture that represents the Independence, and this time there was a flying woman representing it!!!
The people started gathering early in the afternoon... The parade lasted around 3 hours and it had a lenght of around 5 kilometers (around 3 miles)...  and after it there was concerts and shows... then the recreation of the start of the Independence and 8 tons of fireworks in those 3 miles... yes! 8 tons!!! then more concerts and shows... everything ended up at 3 am today!!! And gathered almost a million of people... yes, 1000 000 people!!!!
Although the main plaza was open just to 50 000! Here is a picture!
The huge man was ensambled at this plaza!!
So it was a LOT of fun... a great thing to live and remember for ever... I was very happy to be here and be able to see it....
I'll tell you more about the rest of the celebrations later....

I borrowed the pictures from... Noticias prodigy and Bicentenario Mexico 2010
If you want to see more pictures of this celebration you can check the second link, I think it's one of the official ones...

See you soon!
S.


PS.. This is my 50th post!!! so exciting!!! it's a good post to be the 50th I think!
Thank you for accompany me in this trip!

1 comment:

  1. Wow those are amazing pictures, so exciting. :) I hope the visa issues really are over soon. A friend of mine just got his permission to remain in the UK, it has been a long and torturous wait, but now he can stay indefinately. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely comment!