I got the recipe for this cake from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine (April 2012). Because I didn't want to keep the whole magazine I just cut the page and it's kind of wrinkled and dirty... so for keeping it for further occasions I'll type it here and that way you can make it too.
When I first read Coffeecake I thought there was coffee involved in the recipe, and there's not so I think it means that is a cake for coffee time... which works perfectly!
Stop with the chit-chat and here's the recipe::
Cut wedges straight from the pan or transfer the cake to a serving plate for pretty presentation.
Prep: 15 min Bake: 45 min Oven: 375°F Cool: 10 min
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease bottom of 9 x 1 1/2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment. Grease and lightly flour pan; set aside. For cake, in a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl beat 1 cup of the granulated sugar and the butter with mixer on medium to high until well combined. Add 1 egg and the vanilla. Beat on low to medium 1 minute. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture, beating just until combined after each addition; set aside.
- For cheesecake filling, in small mixing bowl beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar on medium to high until combined. Add lemon peel and 1 egg. Beat until combined.
- Spoon half the cake batter into prepared pan, spreading to edges. Pour cream cheese mixture on cake batter, spreading to edges. Using two spatulas, dollop remaining batter on cream cheese layer, carefully spreading to edges of pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until puffed. Gently press raspberries into cake. Bake 25 to 30 minutes more or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from pan; remove from pan. Sprinkle with powder sugar, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
See you soon!